We are are looking for volunteers to translate a variety of documents from Portuguese to English regarding our non-profit organization's community work in the Brazilian Amazon (near Santarem). We will occasionally need to translate items from English to Portuguese.
Most assignments range from 3-7 pages at a time.
Duties and Responsibilities
Translate portions of a variety of documents, such as:
- Individual sections of a Regional Development Action Plan from Portuguese into English. This is detailed community vision for community development based on community-based tourism.
- Transcriptions of portions interviews made with members of the regional women's group AOMT-BAM
- Notes from a course about the Casa Familiar Rural de Santarem from Portuguese into English
- Evaluation report of the Banco da Mulher, one of the only rotating savings funds (microcredit) in the region. We will initially need to translate some sections from English into Portuguese but then later other sections from English into Portuguese.
KSAs (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities) Needed
For Portuguese to English
- Strong understanding of Portuguese
- Excellent English writing skills
For English to Portuguese
- Strong understanding of English with fluency in written Portuguese
You must be able to commit to a minimum average of 8 hours a month. This is a "virtual" team opportunity which may be performed from home or another location.
Community Empowerment Network's (CEN) operations are nearly entirely driven by the efforts of volunteers (the only exception is our Field Manager in Santarém, Brazil, who is paid under contract). We are a small organization and so lines of responsibility sometimes overlap, but this provides a terrific opportunity for volunteers to take on a variety of responsibilities and to expand their skills How Our Teams Work.